Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Social/Collective Buying Websites

I'm sure you have all come across some form of social/collective buying website in the last year or two. I am addicted to getting these daily emails in my inbox and scavenging for cash saving deals on eating out, gifts, weekends away, beauty treatments, books etc...

Some things I have bought

Plenty of meals out - all delicious
Wall climbing experience - still to be used
Salsa lessons - in the process of completing 5 lessons and having a ball
Hair cut - very happy
Christmas Lights - still being delivered
All the wine for our wedding - delivered, delicious and saved a ton of money!

This weekend away to Bushman's Hide  where we got engaged :)






So here you go, I have trawled the net, and have compiled this list of all the social buying sites that I can find (in SA) at the moment. I've sifted through them and chucked those that are no longer trading or look a tad shady. I'm sure there are some I have missed but have a look and see what gems you'll find!

The ones I mostly use and have purchased from


Others that I have discovered and will be checking out

Ubuntudeal
Daddy's Deals
24 Hours Only
Onedayonly
VuvuPlaza
SA Coupons
CityMob
YouDeal
Whatadeal
Savemedeals
dealclick
citymob
wekidunot
VoucherTrader

Aggregators 
(Collects all deals in one place, meaning you only get one email)

Alldeals
Deal Africa
DealZone
DealScout

So far I haven't met anyone who has had a bad experience with the websites that I use, or has been dissatisfied with their purchase; however there is always a risk and I have found it helpful to check the seller out first to ensure they are legit and to see whether their deal is in fact a good deal, and not their regular prices. 

Advantages of these sites are: they save you time and money by sending emails straight to your inbox and you can shop from your PC. 
Disadvantages are: they can tempt you to buy things that you wouldn't usually buy and forget to use the vouchers before they expire. 

ALWAYS read the fine print on every deal before you buy and put a reminder somewhere so that you will remember to use your voucher before it expires.

Let me know if you have had any bad experiences and also if you know of any other great websites like these.

Happy shopping!

8 comments:

  1. You are a savings queen! One day I hope to be like you ;)

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gill! thanks so much for rounding up all this information, I am usually a sceptic when it comes to online coupons and such but I am glad to hear your success rate and positive experiences, thanks for the great advice too. I may just take a plunge and take a risk the next time I see a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had so much success with City Mob and Daddy's Deals.
    But you are so right with the best advice. READ THAT FINE PRINT!

    I am nervous using a Salon I haven't heard of so I always google them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment hun, Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love getting specials from Groupon, Wicount and Daddy's Deals, but don't you feel like sometimes you buy something you didn't really need, just because it was cheaper? haha

    But I love the cheaper Brazilian blow waves and the nail specials!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestions! I only really knew about Groupon and Daddy's Deals, so now I have new sites to troll for cheap wedding stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dear, how has the rain storms been in Gauteng? We've had minor flooding with lots of hail damage and fallen walls! Oh yes...and no internet service!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also registered to all these crazy deal websites but have never bought anything from it! Too scared! haha!
    Love your blog!
    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete