Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Christening Gift?


My FiancĂ© and are invited to a christening this coming Sunday. Now, I have attended bridal showers, weddings, baby showers and birthdays, but never a christening (guess you know you’re getting long in the tooth when you get these types of invites!). So the first thing that went through my mind when I received the invite was, “Do I take a gift? What gift? Where do I find this gift!?” Needless to say I was quite perplexed. Of course, I turned to trusty old Google and here is what I found.

Some suggestions were: 
  • Jewellery (e.g. engraved pendant/bracelet/ring)
  • Jewellery box
  • Toy chest
  • Money
  • Bank Account to deposit into each year
  • Bible
  • Cross
  • Silver engraved picture frame
  • Photo album with pictures & messages from family
  • Book sets (e.g. Peter Rabbit/Wind in the Willows)
  • Silver engraved spoon
  • Engraved decorative plates

Just FYI - A few moms commented on forums that their babies christening gifts ended up just gathering dust and recommended gifts of a more practical nature. Perhaps asking the mom might help.

It seems that, when it comes to christening gifts, think:
  • Silver
  • Valuable
  • Sentimental
  • Investment
  • Heirloom
  • Religious
  • Educational
  • Collectables


So what did I end up getting? Well, I must say I am pretty chuffed with myself. I found this ultra-cool, silver, helicopter money box (it’s obviously a little boy’s christening). 

From Birthdays in Clearwater Mall, West Rand, Johannesburg.
I even managed to get my hands on a 90th anniversary South African Reserve Bank R5 coin to add to it. 

All wrapped up...

Finished product

Hopefully my gift will be appreciated! You never know maybe this will stick somewhere in your subconscious and SAVE you a lil’ bit of TIME if you ever get a christening invite! Happy shopping!

13 comments:

  1. This is seriously such a clever idea! And I also like the idea of asking the mother in advance. When my first invite to a Christening happens, I'll know what to look for :)

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! So nice to meet another SA blogger :) Your gift of choice is a truly unique and lovely one. Not only does it look fantastic but its functional too! Cant get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Yes, I was pretty happy with it! Not bad for a first timer! Have a fabulously fashionable week and weekend ;)

      Delete
  3. Soo cute! Such a great pick! Loving that helicopter!!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giovanna, hopefully it will be put to use and not end up just gathering dust!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Was a great day and they loved the gift (phew!)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your kind comment today! Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a lovely gift :) I also really like books as christening gifts because you can never get too many books for your kids, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Niina, hopefully it will be put to use and not end up just gathering dust! Personalised baby gifts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! You’re brilliant. You really have a great christening gift. It seems a combination of the idea of silver and collectible. I love it.
    LilyBrookeJewelry.com

    ReplyDelete